Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Gallaudet Graduate Student Orientation Week

Wow. So I'm at Gallaudet. First week of new graduate student orientation. After arriving three days ago, Saturday, I have processed so many emotions; nervous, worry, concern, excitement, anticipation, fear, resignation, enjoyment, surprise, loneliness, appreciation, and pride.

I had to let go of so much in NYC, at least that's what it felt like at the time. And a little, still. My friends, my job, my kitchen, my dishes, my dream princess bed, my apartment with the beautiful view, my dream location of New York City with all that culture. But you know what? NYC isn't going anywhere. There is lots of culture and art and museums and knowledge and more here in Washington, DC. I have made friends with my roommates, after being so nervous we wouldn't get along. Just my paranoia... as usual. Turns out one of the girls and I have a lot in common. Both our Dad's are from Texas and work for the government and in technology. Our mothers are/were school secretaries. We were both raised conservatively and don't align with that lifestyle now. Small world. I've met a few other women from California, one from Sacramento who knew all my professors!! It is so inspiring to see and meet so many signers who have these great big goals and dreams for their professional careers involving ASL and the DEAFWORLD. I must admit, I might be second guessing my program of Elementary/Deaf Education. All these international studies, social work, linguistics, and Deaf studies folks make their programs so attractive. We'll see. If I change my mind, I'm in the right place to do so. Until then, I'm going to strive to become the best school teacher for the Deaf, ever. Ever.

Today we had an earthquake. I know, in DC?! 5.8 magnitude. All of the CA students looked around like it was no biggie. So the floor shook, big deal. I kid, I kid... everyone was fine and only a few buildings were damaged. But it sure did make the world seem that much smaller. Everyone was texting, tweeting, emailing and facebooking friends and family around the world talking about the earthquake, campus, and that they are all right. In a hearing campus, we would hear announcements from a megaphone, or word of mouth running amuck. Not at Gally. A main speaker stood in the middle of the stadiums, several interpreters stood to the left and the right of him spreading the news. Information was so accessible so immediately. I felt more aware here than I would on a hearing campus. Needless to say, the rest of the day's schedule was cancelled and my two roommates and I escaped to search for a coffee shop.

Indeed we found Sova, a very college-coffe-shop feeling place (appropriate soundtrack and all), and grabbed some drinks and waited out the quake safety (no buildings were open for entry and it was hot as hell today). Two iPhones, one LG phone, and one iPad later...we all were up to date with information about the quake, campus, and when we could return to eat at the cafeteria. Technology really does keep the world spinning, more than we know. Well, more than hearing people are conscious of.

I am so glad that I chose to come to Gallaudet. Letting go of comfortable crutches and everyday expectations pushes us to strive for more and assess our own strengths, values, and development. I am looking forward to the two year journey here and anticipate many stories and discoveries to share with you along the way.

Wish me luck!!



2 comments:

  1. Good luck, Shauna!

    I'm sorry I didn't come out to McKenna's. It was awesome working with you, and I'm glad we got to spend a little time together.

    Gallaudet is not too far from the U District, which is where just about everything good in DC happens. Once it gets a little colder, check out Ben's Chili Bowl! It's famous for a reason :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mae! I'm just now getting your comment... I'm not used to people actually following me:-) And thanks for the chili tip.

    ReplyDelete