Monday, November 15, 2010

Post Gallaudet Post

I did it!
I made it!
I went.
I signed. 
And boy... did I walk!

Sooooo many thoughts are swimming around in my head. 
Once I arrived at Gallaudet, I saw people like me and Jeremy, my dear friend who guided me around my way. I saw people who sign. People who talk with their hands, even when their mouth is full. 

I met some great girls in the dorms and their friends. Some education students, a psychology major, an interpreter, a graduate student in international affairs, and the other prospective at the Open House. I was so nervous people would judge me and I wouldn't understand them. That was not the case at all. Everyone I met had patience with my level of comprehension, supported me in my efforts, and encouraged me to keep on trekking. The faculty I met were so encouraging and gave me all the information I requested. Class size, requirements, testing times and accessibility, advice, free magnets and pens, and smiles. By the way, my hot pink and platinum extensions were the perfect ice breaker. Everywhere I went, someone was there to tap me on the shoulder and sign, "I love your hair! That's so cool," which always lead to a real conversation. I met another education grad student in the bookstore with my hair alone. I met a dancer from New York with a cochlear implant, a Deaf man who helped establish the Deaf studies department at Washington State, a man who hates fingerspelling and interviewed to work in San Francisco for social work, people from texas, Californians from Freemont, and two international students (Malaysia and Japan). 

Wow. 

The best part of the whole trip? Wayne's birthday. Jeremy's best friend's boyfriend turned 26 and of course, the gang got together to celebrate with chips, salsa and beer in sippy cups (which is actually pretty useful, signing with a cup of beer in your hands can be detrimental). Oh! Don't forget the games!!! This was the real deal. This was real ASL. This was me signing in real time. My reception sure picked up, as did my speed. The sayings holds true: 
Practice makes perfect. 
You don't use it, you lose it. 

People I hadn't met put me up on their couch, their spare bed, their dorm room and gave me directions and advice for the area. I've never met such friendly and earnest strangers. Being a part of their community for three days has helped me learn so much about myself, my skills, my dreams, my weaknesses, my goals, and my role. Just when I told them I started to feel overwhelmed, more than once the reply was, "Struggle is a part of the process." 

and on a personal note: "Everything can't be a big deal." 

In closing, I want to thank my dear friends Anna, Tiffany, Aspen, Devin, Chris, Jeremy; my best friend Marjorie; my brothers Joe & Jim; and my parents for all of the support and pushing. I would still be sitting in this very chair like a sack of potatoes dreaming about my future instead of making my future, if it weren't for all you folks and your words of wisdom and pats on the back. 

What's next?
It's Application Season!!! So if I fail to return your text and ditch our plans, please know it is because I am busy typing away for letters of rec, resumes, and transcript acquisitions. You'll hear from me in January. Until, keep reading!

and I'l keep signing.

No comments:

Post a Comment