Saturday, November 13, 2010

Learning Signs

Learning experience #683:

I comprehend ASL better from men, as opposed to women.

Hmmmm. Why? How come? I wonder why that came to pass... Let's look at my background.
First ASL instructor: Wendy, female. Hearing with an unhealthy pity perspective of the Deaf.
All other ASL instructors during undergrad: Male. 1 hearing, 2 Deaf.
Sorority sister: raised orally, spoke a LOT when she signed.
Other college Deaf friends: mostly male.
NYC--
1 Instructor: Deaf Woman, Carmen King. Strong ASL skills, yet very feminine & assertive approach.
1 Instructor: Deaf Man, graduate of Gallaudet.
Current tutor/good friend: young Deaf man, social butterfly.
1 CoDA coworker: man.

See a trend?? I'm not used to the tapered fingers and fluttery trills of thought. Women's hands move differently, on average. Mens hands appear visually more stable, in my humble opinion.

So it looks like I know just where to start my homework for grad school:
Single Hearing Female ISO Single Deaf/CoDA Female Tutor :-)




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment