Friday, November 12, 2010

Upon Arrival at Gallaudet

Of course on the first night at Gally, the student diversity organization is holding a dance showcase, filled with hip hopper, pop interpreters, krumpers, preachers, and capoeiristas. And it was all in ASL. Most interesting part? My group of friends kept asking me if the music was too loud for me. I could feel it rattling the plastic chair I sat in and my sternum. I for to see rap in ASL for the first time. A pair interpreted a new song by Monica and Ludacris. I think that one was my favorite. The ASL was smooth and easy to follow. One girl who performed Videophone by Beyoncé and Lady GaGa gave what I thought was a great musical representation of the piece. Her ASL skills were top notch. But a Deaf woman sitting next to me said the whole performance was too bouncy and harder to follow. Interesting. And of course, everyone kept tapping me on the shoulder to tell me they like my pink braids.


So this is the DC metro. Doesn't their subway system look like Star Trek? I kept looking for my Vulcan boyfriend.


Chinatown DC
This is where we landed and Jeremy took me to Potbelly, one of the best sandwich shops I've ever been to. This is also where I got kicked out of McDonalds for have a glass bottle of rootbeer. Go figure.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment