Saturday, December 31, 2011

From the air

This post was originally written during last night's adventures. This morning, as it is 11am in Delhi, India, I finally got my wifi connected. So I will be posting more tonight........ On international flights, things are different. I'm used to flying on JetBlue, Southwest, or United Airlines. These planes are tadpoles in comparison to the behemoth toad that is his double decker, tripper rowed, free meals and drinks provided Boeing boat of a plane. Also, the environment is different. Of course while flying a German airline, it would only make sense for signs, announcements, and the staff to all be in, you guessed it, German. For the first time, I feel like the different one. Well maybe the second time. My first few weeks at Gallaudet sure evoked feelings of being an outsider. Anywho, I have to remind myself how much emphasis Americans have about 'personal space.' that doesn't really exist on an international flight. Suck it up and go with the flow. A little arm brush never hurt anyone. The babies are awful. If you have seen any of my recent tweets, I'm sure you know I'm not particularity fond of children in airports. There are three in my row. One could not stop wailing/screaming for about half and hour after take off. Thankfully, that stopped. I was offered a window seat at check in, but it's far away from the group. Looking back at them, I noticed all the deaf folks standing up in the back chatting. I finished my free German beer, which tasted like buttery amazingness by the way, and joined all the cool kids in the back. I'm so glad I did. When I came to return to my cornered window seat, the other two people in my row had their feet on the wall sleeping. So I decided to go back to the Deaf Area and have a seat. Luckily there was a spare. Looking out the window, the lights are beautiful. I think we're in Europe, maybe England and France?? They look just like Lancaster and Southern California except a bit more geometric and village oriented (also see: not spread out). I'm running on basically no sleep and still so happy. I gonna crash at the airport in Germany, and then I can sleep on the flight to India. We arrive in the morning so that means I won't have time to really sleep for another day. Good grief. Again, I'm meeting more amazing people because of Gallaudet. More on that later. There are Deaf Ambassadors from Mali, Jamaica, Nepal, Kenya, and India. I feel so humbled and blessed to share this experience with such influential people. Now time for breakfast on the plane. - 📳Posted using 📝BlogPress from my iPad📲.

Location:Hans Raj Gupta Marg,New Delhi,India

No comments:

Post a Comment