Thursday, July 29, 2010

Interpreting Filters: signing through a mirror.

Wow.

Tonight's discussion involved everyone in class. I think because we all can identify somehow someway of discrimination and filtering ourselves. I have been heavily involved in the Queer scene in Sacramento and the Black and Latino communities. Through the reading my preconceived notions were strengthened and elaborated. But tonight's power point asked me questions which I had to answer, I was no longer looking at another community under a magnifying glass. I was looking in the mirror with a magnifying glass.

I was suprised to hear John talk about interpreters who look down on the deaf community. But Im also glad that he did. We discussed how we may not even be aware but our own prejudices can color our interactions as interpreters and our own history, values, beliefs, dislikes, etc. may not jive with what the client states. Our job is to keep it real and be true to the client's word. Sure, we are human too. We made need a personal break, but only if it's a neccessity and an option.

I wish I could stop signing like a hearing girl.
Today in class I tried to mouth less to see if it would coerce my sentence structure into a more ASL-like format.

Please God, let me sign ASL by next Thursday!


- Beamed from my Soul Phone

No comments:

Post a Comment