Friday, July 23, 2010

Journal #3

I have really enjoyed the latest reading assignments. The chapters which discuss Literacy have really pulled back the curtains for me. I always knew that ASL had its own syntax, rules, vocabulary, sentence structure, etc. But I never could quite find the way to bring it all together to make a point. Or to make sense out of it all. How does that relate to written English? How can I express these concepts and relationships to the hearing world ignorant of ASL? The reading has given me the tools I need to provide solid theories, information, and references for these conversations.

The more I know about the Deaf experience, perspective and what the varying perspectives may entail; the better I will be able to coomunicate cross-culturally. The section in last Tuesday's class where we discussed how children acquire language skills really opened my eyes to how many factors contribute to how someone communicates, comprehends, relates, infers, expresses, and develops.

Also, John has remided us that this isn't just research. This is our client. This person with developmental disadvantages with low language skills and lack of world knowledge is my client. Now why do I do?

I will remember what I learned, discussed, and shared in this class!

- Beamed from my Soul Phone

No comments:

Post a Comment