Thursday, July 15, 2010

Journal #2

The recent reading has proven thought provoking. Before this class I took pride in my awareness of Deaf cultural issues, concerns, needs, equal rights and access, and how to communicate those words to the hearing world. I thought I knew why hearing America has made the choices we have made.

As they say in ASL: WRONG-me!

Yes, I had an inkling. I have been on the right track. But my engine hadn't taken me anywhere. Now, I feel like I'm really turning the ignition and warming up the machinery as a whole.

When I read the section discussing disability; how and why that term is defined, what it encompasses, its facility and oppressive nature; its got me thinking. It's unfortunate that the information in chapter 17 has not been been shown to me until just now. It is surprising and alarming to think that people are so ignorant of things which, to me, are common sense; and that such audacious theories could be taken so seriously truthful.

I want to become more involved in Deaf Advocacy. Not so much the ADA side of things, but the cultural side. After tonight's discussion about education, rights, needs, variations, choclear implants, aids, speech therapy, etc. I feel even stronger about becoming involved with Education and the Deaf community.

Tonight I remembered that in eighth grade I told my mentors I wanted to become a daycare instructor for Deaf children. Well I don't think I'm still focused on daycare, but I am interested in becoming a teacher of the Deaf or an interpreter in an educational setting. I've toyed with the idea of attending Gallaudet for grad school.

I am learning that there is a lot happening in the Deaf community: very recently and in the now.

There will always be conflict.
There will be stubbornness and support.
With generational change, different needs will arise. If I wanna be a part of this movement, I need to be prepared!


- Beamed from my Soul Phone

No comments:

Post a Comment