Saturday, July 10, 2010

Journal Entry #1

Deaf Culture.
Deaf Studies.
Deaf Cultural Studies.
d/Deaf Intra-Cultural Studies.
Where do I fit in? How do I fit in? Do I fit it?

This Summer I leap into the academic study of the sociology of Deaf communities within America. Thus far we have discussed several points, ideas, theories, ideologies, and perspectives. Of course a few hot topics stand out to me:

1.  Deaf Culture is (surprisingly) a relatively new idea/movement.
2.  The community had to decide, define, and describe: "What is Deaf culture?"
3.  What have we stood for?
4.  Where are we going?

All encompassing those four thoughts is this: Who decides? How is it decided?


These discussions in class have really opened my eyes. I feel like a curtain was pulled away, the window was dusted off and I can see an entire new perspective. I have always identified as a Deaf cultural advocate, admittedly not very active, but an advocate nonetheless. I have stood up for equal access, equality in the workplace, and equal rights in communication. I have educated my peers, my coworkers, my employer, my friends and family regarding what I know about Deaf culture, lifestyles, practices, ethics, and etiquette.

After reading chapters one and two in Open Your Eyes and the energizing discussion in class last Thursday, I am aware that I have a lot to learn and am eager to make room for this new knowledge. I am so grateful to be able to share opinions and perspectives with my classmates. It's nice to hear how other "hearies" have/are experiencing ASL and Deaf culture already, and also what their concerns are. I like having a safe place where I can speak sincerely and receive a thoughtful and honest response.

I am humbled by the experience of my classmates and am learning new signs from them every time we meet. I leave class so energized, anticipating what I will read about and see in class the next week. I feel like I'm finally getting the education I need to fulfill my professional goals.

Personal goal: Look into classes at Sign Language Center to keep proficiency up and running!

No comments:

Post a Comment