Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Deaf Expo @ South St. Seaport

So I've been thinking...maybe this two-year program at LaGuardia just isn't meant to be for me. My director brought up a very good point: I already have my B.A. If I'm going to spend two years of my life committed to study and knowledge, I might as well get a graduate degree.

I'm crossing my fingers that Gallaudet blows my mind and turns out to be a perfect match for me.

I went to the Annual Deaf Expo at the South Street Seaport last weekend. My two dear friends took me and showed me around, introducing me to all their friends and acquaintances. I saw a few of my "regular" patrons from my 9-5. It was great seeing people and talking to people in sign. Jeremy told me there would probably be a fight. I couldn't believe him. A fight at an expo/festival? Doesn't make sense. Festivals are places where people celebrate their culture and share their joys, services, products, and religion. Sure enough. Two woman got into a fight, where one ended up falling to the ground. A group soon surrounded them as bystanders signed, "Why are you fighting? There's no need to fight!" The rain started to come down and the sky darkened. It was like watching a dramatic climax in a movie.

Aside for the fight, the expo was amazing. ASL flew from the dock to the restaurants, from the boat to the vendor tables, from the bars to the hip hop crew rapping in sign while the back of a van blasted instrumental hip hop and reggae beats.

I didn't want to leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment