Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Advanced ASL for Professionals

Wow.

So in Carole's workshop, I learned.
I learned over.
I learned a lot.
I relearned.
I clarifyingly learned.

Four other young ASL professionals and I sat and soaked up everything she had to share. A social worker, a therapist, interpreter, a teacher and me; another teacher. I keep forgetting that's what I'm doing. yes, I am a teacher. I teach computer skills now. And will educate elementary children, eventually.

We revisited handshapes. Curling our fingers in and sticking our thumbs out, we wiggled and waved across and in front of our bodies. Phonology was a big one. Placement and direction are so simple, yet so easily mispronounced.
OSVOSVOSVOSVOSV

Time frame. Time line. Chronological events. Story line. Story board. Story time. We covered it all. Verb. Noun-noun. Helped. It help-helped me a lot to review things I 'thought' I already knew. Alas, I incorrectly knew. There's only so much you can get from a book.
OSVOSVOSVOSV
Classifiers!!!!!!! My favorite thing to practice. So descriptive. So creative. So specific. How many, what's it look like, where is it, size? All said in one shape+movement. Language in use?? Formal. Informal. Conversational. Informative. Counsel. Technical. Frozen. Slang. Intimate. Who said what to who about what, how & why?
OSVOSVOSV

Interpreters mess up? People go to jail. Prison. Die.
Get it right.
Be clear.

Help each other. Meet other deaf, coda, interpreters, teachers, HoH, signers. Sign! Study group. Practice. Tape yourself. Critique yourself.

I need to workshop myself continually.
Everyday.
Practice everyday.
OSVOSVOSVOSVOSV

everyday ASL me-practice

Thank you, Carole.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment