Wednesday, February 23, 2011

WOW!

Grammar Rules started off the class with a nice refresher in proper rules of conversation in ASL. WE each took turns explaining & reviewing concepts, including superlatives, comparatives, proflexible, pronouns, etc. It is always nice to go back to the basics. Usually this sparks new questions of clarity.

Grammar FISH, or 'finished' for all my non-signing readers.
A big tall tv screen captured our attention with the VHS (yes, they still exist) of "Deaf Tend Your." Trust me, it makes more sense in ASL. What was this film about? All the non-manual parts of the language. Things like
Facial expressions
Eyebrows
Eye gaze & blinking
Cheeks
And moat importantly.... The MOUTH.

The presenter gave us about 25 morphemes to learn. But there are many many more. I finally learned what lexical means! I didn't understand that concept in the English language, but now I do in ASL.

Film FISH
We reviewed one more classmate's children's story in ASL. "Corduroy," one of my favorites. She is a very good signer. I can't remember her name. But her hand shapes are clear and she is good with establishing characters. More face, though!

Finally, my instructor stayed to give me much appreciated feedback on my signed application. Afterwards, I felt so confident and proud of my skill improvement. Support from teachers really does help!!

Once my final draft is complete, I will post here for your viewing pleasure.

Thanks for reading!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment